Thursday, May 13, 2010

Brewer's Best: Oatmeal Stout Kit

On May 12th, I started a 5 gallon batch of Oatmeal Stout. I didn't quite intend to start beer but I saw a kit at the local homebrew store and thought I'd give it a shot. (Note: all photos enlarge when clicked.)
Brewer's Best Oatmeal Stout Kit


The ingredients in the box:
12 oz crushed 2-row pale malt
6 oz crushed dark chocolate malt
4 oz crushed victory malt
2 oz crystal 120L malt
1 lb maltodextrin
1 lb flaked oats
1 oz Cascade flavoring hops (alpha acid 7.5%)
1 oz Brewers Gold bittering hops (alpha acid 9.7%)
3.3 lb can liquid malt extract, dark
3 lb Extra dark dried malt extract powder
Windsor brewing yeast
grain bags!

I pretty much followed the kit directions. It had me sanitize (duh) everything I'd use and I bleached the heck out of my kitchen. I heated about 1.5 gallons water and added my grains (in the grain bag).

I had the grains steep like a tea at 165F degrees for a while (I forget how long).

I removed the grain bag from the wort, added my can of liquid malt extract, my dried malt extract, and my maltodextrin and started a boil.
I put my 3/4 of my bittering hops in and let them boil about 30 minutes (I didn't want too much bitter).

Then I added my flavoring hops and boiled another 15 minutes. I turned off the heat and let it cool down. It looked like I had a lot of extra sediment in my wort so I ran it through a filter when I transferred the wort to my fermentation bucket. Filtering and transferring took a long time because there was so much sediment that it clogged the filter in my funnel.

I added water to my wort to bring it up to 5 gallons and took my initial hydrometer readings.

My hydrometer read 1.070 @ 77F degrees. Adjusting for temperature, this gives me an OG (starting gravity) of 1.095. My kit says my starting gravity should be between 1.048 to 1.056 so I seem to be off by quite a bit. I blame all the extra sediment. I think I still have a lot of unfermentable sediments from the grains in my beer wort.
I pitched my yeast and transferred to a 5 gallon glass carboy.
I put my carboy in a box in case it bubbles over so it doesn't make a mess. I put a cap on the top of the carboy and attached a blow-off hose. I put the end of the blow-off hose into a bucket of water to allow carbon dioxide to get out but it won't allow air in. This keeps it sanitary.

That was it! Within 8 hours, it was bubbling like crazy and had a nice foam on it, called "krausen".


UPDATE: Racked to secondary on May 19th and measured 1.0407 gravity. I will follow the 1-2-3 guidelines I read about on some homebrew forums: 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks in bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment